Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Beginning of Our Story

I’m cute in a little sister kind of way. Catchy smile, freckles, HOT body. ;) Of course, it helps that I’ve been spending every day this summer working on my tan. But nothing that would stop you in your tracks and make you remember me for weeks kind of cute. So here I am at the pool, covered up in shorts and a tank, so as not to make people wonder what I’m thinking wearing that skimpy bikini. And I catch this guy looking at me. And he’s no ordinary guy, friends. He’s got that Abercrombie model meets Mr. America meets boy next door meets mysterious super hero thing going on. He’s got these mission impossible sunglasses on looking like he just stepped out of GQ while he’s casually lying on his blue blow up floaty boat. Oh, and his tan six pack is staring me right in the eyes. I’m sure he’s just loving how my jaw is lying on the ground while drool is slowly leaking out of the corner of my mouth. I’m hiding behind harry potter #4 as well as I can while not blocking my view of Secret Agent Man. I come to my senses as I figure his stare is probably due to some leftover frosting clinging to my face from my earlier secret snack session and return to my fantasy world where boys don’t break my heart. Cut to later that night. Still engrossed in Harry’s struggle with inner loneliness, there comes a knock at the door. I’m home alone, so of course I’m the one who prepares to fend off some home teachers. But don’t worry, here I am opening the door with no make up, bangs accidently trimmed to the quick about an hour earlier, in my pajamas, and with harry in hand and who is it? Only the gloriously tan James bond from the pool. I invite him in graciously and hope he doesn’t hear my heart beat echoing off the walls. We talk about music and birthdays and school and candles and roommates, until it’s 2 am. I mention that it’s late, giving him an excuse to escape without hurting my feelings and he thinks I’m trying to kick him out! I tell him that’s not what I meant and touch his arm, the first physical contact of the night. I just know my entire face is in flames and I get that anxious feeling. He sticks around, not just for my emotional benefit, but he really wants to stay. With me! He’s actually enjoying my company. About five minutes later, he’s making up a b.s. math equation that says it’s ok if we date, that I’m not too young for him and he’s not too old for me. I play along, flipping my hair and batting my eyes as I sit on the kitchen table. Let's just fast forward- we’re in my bedroom now. He’s laying down on my bed and I’m sitting up near his head, and he calls me chicken for not laying down with him. Oh- I’ll accept your dare Mr. Dodd. No one calls me a chicken and get’s away with it. Feeling a little like a scarlet woman, I lay down with a foot of space between us. That’s quite a feat when you’re in a twin size bed. I think I’m lying more on the wall than on the bed. For hours we’ve been talking and talking. There’s been no awkward pauses, not even a split second of silence. I’m sure I’ve already told him my life story, nasty family secrets and all, and none of it has made him cringe, or run away. He is listening and telling me what he is thinking and all the while staying so cool while I’ve been laughing like that crazy girl you knew in high school who had braces and wore a fanny pack and soaking my shirt through with nervous sweating. meanwhile I’m only getting the surface story from him. What his favorite music is, his major, how many siblings, hometown, favorite sports. And don’t worry, this whole night he’s been telling me how much I want to kiss him and that it will happen despite the fact that I’ve been telling him that I don’t kiss someone the first day I meet him. And suddenly I find him impossibly close. How did this happen and why do I have this stupid smile on my face while my stomach is doing flips? And I know I’m about to cave. You know you want me to kiss you he breathes onto my lips, staring straight in my eyes. Wow this kid is forward! Ask me if I love it. And now the lips I’ve been staring at all day and night are millimeters from mine ... And so begins a year of running and giving in and more running and finally caving. I do!!

2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious!!! I love reading your blog. What a great meeting story. I love it how you describe yourself as "cute" and a dork when you are absolutely gorgeous. I also love your next entry when you talk about people being secure with themselves and feeling the love of our heavenly father. That hits home for me, I didn't feel that way growing up but I absolutely do now and what a gift. Can't wait to see you at the reunion. -Kendra nicolaysenandco.blogpsot.com (My grandma is Jan Dodd-Fowler)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I'm so glad you like it! And thank you :) I'm so looking forward to the reunion! Have you been up there before? It's gorgeous! GOing to check out your blog right now! Later-

    ReplyDelete